Saturday 1 June 2024

Desert island typewriters

I was thinking, if i was ever marooned to a desert island and could choose just three typewriters to take with me, what would i pick?

The Brother Deluxe 1350 would of course have to be the first pick. It was the first typewriter i ever bought and is still going strong, indeed it is one of the better machines in the collection.

Next would be my Olympia Olympiette, my favourite typewriter of all. It works pretty well (maybe not quite as good as some others i could choose) but there is no way i would not pick this machine for my exile.

So, those two picks were easy, what about the third? I think it needs to be a solidly built and reliable machine, which means one of the Silver-Reed type portables of which i have quite a few, including re-branded examples. So, the third typewriter i would take on my exile would be my Silver-Reed SEVENTY which is a superb little typewriter that still looks brand new.

So, what would you choose?